• Moore Haven boys’ basketball lost to Southwest Florida Christian on Jan. 17, 72-65. Coach Matt Zinser said the team played very solid basketball for most of the game. John Cox had 17 points, Sergio Arrieta 15 points and Marquis Fudge added 14 points. Jacob Smith had 10 points, Andrew Fish six points and Leonard Sampson added three points for the Terriers. “
• Moore Haven girls basketball lost at Southwest Florida Christian 68-47 on Jan. 17. Sunni Bearden had a big night with 27 points for the Terriers. Rebekah Bergquist had 35 points for the Lady Kings. Sydnee Cypress added nine points and Aleina Micco five points for Moore Haven.
• The West Glades School split basketball games with Pemayetv Emahakv on Jan. 18. The Lady Panthers defeated the Seminoles 30-25 to improve to (7-4) on the season. Janna Morrissey led the way with 15 points while Dylan White had six points and Audry Lowman added five points.
• PECS won the boys basketball game 45-25. The Seminoles had the size and speed advantage. Donovan Harris had 12 points and Jaylen Baker added eight points for PECS. Johnathan Munson had seven points and Jason Branch added six points for the Panthers.
“As usual our boys played hard but we struggled to score. We couldn’t get the ball inside or get rebounds on the defensive end due to their size advantage,” Smith added.
PECS Coach Kevin Jackson said Donovan Harris played a great game by letting the action come to him and not trying to do too much. Dakoya Nunez had seven points and Jaylen and Jaytron Baker both had six points for PECS.
PECS boys basketball slipped past Moore Haven 43-37 on Dec. 19. Coach Jackson called it the best game the team has played. He said the defense created turnovers and were able to convert fast break points on the offensive end.
“We executed in our half court sets and the transition game and led 31-7 at halftime. PECS used the bench players for much of the second half. Donovan Harris had 14 points, Jaylen Baker and Ramon Baker both had eight points and Jayton Baker added six points.
PECS defeated Osceola soundly 52-16 on Jan. 5. Jaylen Baker had 15 points, Harris 13 points, Jayton Baker 12, Dathen Garcia eight and Nunez had four points. Coach Jackson said the team used pressure defense and converted easy shots on transition.
PECS boys defeated Yearling (Okeechobee) on Jan. 10, 43-35. Coach Jackson said Yearling was scrappy and played tough and gave the team problems with their tall center, Stephen Thorton, who stands over 6’7. “I feel like we had some mental breakdowns on defense and even though we were having trouble scoring we never let up.” Harris had 12, Jaylen Baker 11, Garcia nine points and Ramone Baker seven points.
PECS defeated LaBelle Middle on Jan. 11, 50-20 as they jumped out to a 37-10 halftime lead. Harris had 19 points, Jaylen Baker 13, and Ramone Baker nine points. Coach Jackson said everybody on the team got involved in the blowout win.
The unbeaten season for PECS ended on Jan. 19 at the Brighton Reservation when they fell to Clewiston Middle School 60-51. It was a close game throughout. Harris had 23 points, Jaylen Baker 11 points, Ramone Baker eight points and Garcia four points. Clewiston led 24-22 at the half.
• The Terrier boys basketball team lost on Jan. 19 at the Canterbury School 69-46. Canterbury is currently the second seed in District 3A-6.
John Cox had 17, Sergio Arrieta had 15 and Andrew Fish had eight points. Moore Haven kept the game close until the fourth quarter.
Moore Haven finishes the regular season at Okeechobee on Jan. 27 and will likely host a first round district game against Seacrest Country Day.